Best MVC framework for Openlayers3
lazaruslarue via OL3 Dev
2014-09-15 22:55:19 UTC
Wanted to follow up on this issue with the Desktop vs. Mobile
functionality.

I had previously followed the pattern available in the source for the
custom-controls.js example, using the jquery/jqlite ".on()" click handler.
it turns out that if you're using ionic, you need to use ionic.on({type},
{callback}, {element}).

ionic's documentation isn't great, but you can find it
here: http://ionicframework.com/docs/api/utility/ionic.EventController/
i've been working with Angular & Ionic + OL3 for the past 8 weeks or so,
with mixed results. one thing that's great is that they don't step on each
other's toes too much. imo, Angular is at it's best when you make lots of
use directives... which i've not found easy to do with openlayers. I get
the impression that Backbone might have been a better choice but i was more
familiar with Angular when i started this project. at this point, the app
is really slick on mobile but i'm having a bit of difficulty getting it to
do what I want in a desktop browser (i think ionic [not angular] is
breaking things)
Good luck.
Hi All,
I have developed GIS product using openlayers 2.x. Now that we all know
OL3 is out and stable I want to upgrade my product from 2.x to 3.0.0. This
time I want to use MVC opensource framework available. I do not want to
waste time experimenting all MVC framework so my question is.. I want to
know the best available MVC framework for openlayer 3 which is stable?
Any suggestion is great help to me
Guy Chisholm via OL3 Dev
2014-09-16 11:16:18 UTC
I've had a quick go with the ngeo, but I recently noticed the
https://github.com/tombatossals/angular-openlayers-directive project. I
prefer the way the later restricts on element names; it makes things look
neater, especially for very simple maps. However, ngeo has some services
to deal with interactions that's not present in the former.
OL3 Dev on behalf of Eric Lemoine
2014-09-16 11:38:18 UTC
On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 1:16 PM, Guy Chisholm via OL3 Dev
Post by Guy Chisholm via OL3 Dev
I've had a quick go with the ngeo, but I recently noticed the
https://github.com/tombatossals/angular-openlayers-directive project. I
prefer the way the later restricts on element names; it makes things look
neater, especially for very simple maps. However, ngeo has some services to
deal with interactions that's not present in the former.
With ngeo we indeed don't go the "all declarative" way. It will be for
"more involved" maps/apps. We're going to put more and more effort
into it in the coming months.
--
Eric Lemoine

Camptocamp France SAS
Savoie Technolac, BP 352
73377 Le Bourget du Lac, Cedex

Tel : 00 33 4 79 44 44 94
Mail : eric.lemoine-***@public.gmane.org
http://www.camptocamp.com
Nazir Khan via OL3 Dev
2014-09-24 16:25:39 UTC
Thanks guys for your inputs,

I now think I should start with my own framework and apply to openlayers. I
started three .js files i.e view.js, model.js and controller.js. It's
working fine. I may have to add few more functionality for easy coding and
I will do it eventually.

Code below

View.js

var mtview = function (model) {

this.olview = new ol.View({
projection: this.projection,
center: [0, 0],
zoom: 2

});

this.projection = new ol.proj.Projection({
code: 'EPSG:4326'
});

this.render = function () {

this.map = new ol.Map({
controls: ol.control.defaults({
attributionOptions:({collapsible: false })
}).extend([
new ol.control.ScaleLine({units: 'degrees'})
]),
layers: [
new ol.layer.Tile({
source: new ol.source.OSM()
})
],
controls: ol.control.defaults({
attributionOptions: /** @type {olx.control.AttributionOptions} */
({
collapsible: false
})
}),
renderer: exampleNS.getRendererFromQueryString(),
target: 'map',
});
};
}

---- model.js -------

var mtmodel = function () {

return this;
};

---- controller.js -----

var mtcontroller = function () {
return this;
};

-------- app.js ------
var startcontroller = new mtcontroller();

startcontroller.loadView();

// this function uses the Model and View together.
mtcontroller.prototype.loadView = function () {
// get the model.
var model = new mtmodel();

// get a new view.
var view = new mtview(model);

// run the view's "render" function
view.render();
};

I hope I am going in right direction and later might migrate to best MVC
framework available.

Nazir
Filipe Vieira via OL3 Dev
2014-09-25 01:48:49 UTC
I am using ionic (that uses angular) to make our project with ol3.

My setup is like this:
- mapserver to get the maps,
- a rest service on nodejs to serve information by project and user, this
can be layers from the project including geojson layers,
- auth is made by tokens, mapserver is behind a proxy to prevent serving
restricted layers,
- ionic is used on the user interface, the web interface is served by a web
server (ex: apache),
- on mobile the interface run in the client making requests to the server.

- Angularjs:
- After making a directive to show ol3 maps you can use a html tag to
place a map,
- The ol3 map object is passed to my controller and everything is setup
in there,
- The map interface like layers and other stuff are rendered by angular
like normal html, and events interface with ol3 object map when need it.

Until now I am very happy with ionic and angularjs, I have been using it on
other projects and I find it very good and it doesn't get in your way.

Hope this helps,
Jenna Leaf via OL3 Dev
2014-10-16 18:53:47 UTC
Hi, Filipe: You must be expert connecting AngularJS to OL3. I am not good
in either. What book &/or tutorial site you recommend me to pick up both
in 2 weeks?

(I only have Visual Studio 2012 to do these things)
Thanks,
lazaruslarue via OL3 Dev
2014-10-16 19:59:14 UTC
Hey Jenna,

This is a pretty awesome book for Angular : https://www.ng-book.com/

Dunno about OL3... since it just came out, i think you're best off reading
the documentation.
OL3 Dev on behalf of Bart van den Eijnden
2014-10-16 20:00:57 UTC
For ol3 consider:

https://leanpub.com/thebookofopenlayers3

Bart

Sent from my iPhone
OL3 Dev on behalf of Jenna Leaf
2014-10-22 03:09:40 UTC
Thankyou Bart for book recommendations.

I think this one https://www.ng-book.com/ could be very useful.

I would definitely check out the one
https://leanpub.com/thebookofopenlayers3
too!

Thanks again

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 4:00 PM, OL3 Dev on behalf of Bart van den Eijnden <
Post by OL3 Dev on behalf of Bart van den Eijnden
https://leanpub.com/thebookofopenlayers3
Bart
Sent from my iPhone
On 16 okt. 2014, at 21:59, lazaruslarue via OL3 Dev <
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ol3-dev/19B1B67E-61FB-42CC-854C-8FD9C3DD7E5D%40boundlessgeo.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ol3-dev/19B1B67E-61FB-42CC-854C-8FD9C3DD7E5D%40boundlessgeo.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.